TEN TOP TIPS FOR ACHIEVING A WORK-LIFE BALANCE
Finding the best work-life balance for you can enable you to achieve enjoyment and fulfilment at home and at work. It involves taking control and striking a balance between your needs at work and your needs in your personal life. Here are 10 tips to help you enhance your work-life balance and ultimately improve your quality of life
- Review how you spend your time On average we are awake for 14 hours each day. Consider how much time you spend on your job, friends, family, health and interests. If you are dissatisfied with the result, start making changes to your routine so that you allow time for all areas of your life that are important to you.
- Don’t take your work home. Ensure you maintain clear boundaries between your working life and your home life. Many individuals have access to a work mobile and emails away from the office. Do you really need to be on-call 24/7? If you do need to check your messages out of work, allocate specific times to do so.
- Review how you spend your time at work Do you need to work late every day? Ensuring you leave work on time at least once or twice a week will free up time for your personal life.
- Have fun Plan to do something you enjoy at least once a week. An alternative focus will keep you energised throughout the week.
- Consider your career options Have you secretly wanted to find a new job or pursue a career change for a while now? What is stopping you? Start reviewing your options.
- Delegate Are you expected to do everything yourself? Sharing your work will not only ease your work load but enable you to build relationships with colleagues. Learn also to say ‘no’ when you are feeling overwhelmed.
- Interests and hobbies Renew an interest in a hobby. Don’t let work take over your life.
- Exercise and eat a balanced diet Take care of your health. Even the smallest positive changes to your lifestyle will increase the energy you have for doing the things you enjoy.
- Seek help If you are struggling with something at work, ask for help. Feeling that something is beyond your capabilities can make you feel out of control. Prevent yourself from overcomplicating matters. Being proactive is more productive than complaining or becoming stressed about it.
- Relaxation Allocate at least 15 minutes each day for relaxation. Calming and relaxing the mind will give you the break you need to clear your mind. You will become more focussed and maintain control of your life.