6 TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE A SMOOTH TRANSITION WHEN RETURNING TO WORK AFTER TIME AWAY
Are you returning to work after maternity leave?
Are you returning to work after sickness?
Are you returning to work after a career break?
Returning to work after a break can be challenging. You may feel anxious or overwhelmed. You may be lacking in confidence and wonder whether you are going to be good enough. Fortunately, there are things you can do to help smooth your transition from home to the work place and here are 6 tips to assist:
- Return to work when you are ready Also, consider requesting shorter working hours for the first couple of weeks to help you settle into your new routine. Ensure you return to work when you feel you are ready and can give your job the focus it requires. Consider what is most important for you when making your decision taking into account the flexibility of your employer, your career expectations and your financial situation.
- Set yourself goals Remember to reward yourself for your achievements. If you are feeling daunted by the prospect of returning to work, set yourself realistic and manageable goals. It is not possible to achieve everything on day one so work out what is possible. Taking one step at a time will enable you to be more productive at work and at home.
- Seek support It is important to develop a support network. Confide in a trusted friend or colleague who has been through the same or a similar situation. Knowing you are not alone can help put things into perspective for you and your friend may be able to offer useful advice.
- Ask for help If you are struggling with a piece of work, don’t sit at your desk struggling for hours. Ask for help. This is a great way to relieve any stress you may be feeling, build relationships with colleagues and enable you to maintain control.
- Focus on the positives If you are lacking in confidence and wondering whether you are going to be good enough, spend time concentrating on the things you can do rather than the things you can’t do. Write a list of 10 things you really like about yourself and are good at. Read it every time you need a confidence boost.
- Be organised Ensure you allow yourself adequate time to prepare for your return to work to enable you to make a smooth transition from home to the work place.